Chocolate Whoopie Pies
This is one our old favorites, chocolate whoopie pies filled with vanilla bean buttercream and lots of sprinkles!
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla or vanilla bean paste
1 cup + 1 1/2 Tbsp. milk
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar with the paddle attachment until smooth and fluffy, 3 minutes.
- Add in eggs, vanilla and milk. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in sifted dry ingredients.
- Mix just until homogenous. Scrape well to ensure there are no lumps.
- Allow to sit for at least 2 hours, best if overnight.
- Scoop or pipe heart shapes onto sheet trays lined with sprayed parchment.
- Bake at 350F until tops are puffed and cake springs back, 8-10 mins.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Match like-sized pairs of cakes. Pipe buttercream onto one half and sandwich together. Press sprinkles into buttercream around edges
Vanilla Bean Buttercream
Yield icing for 24 cupcakes or 1 9” cake
4 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
8-12 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla bean paste or extract
- In a bowl cream butter and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar to the bowl and mix until combined.
- Add milk to the bowl and mix until combined.
- Add additional powdered sugar and mix until desired consistency is reached.
- Store in a covered airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.