Cafe Line Cook
You bring the dishes that the chef creates to life. The chef relies on you to “get it right” and you take pride in making it happen. The bustle and sometimes intensity of the kitchen energizes you. You understand the importance of staying within budget and knowing exactly how much to prep. You also understand that cleanliness in the kitchen and safe food handling is key. The kitchen team is tight and you’re a valued player. And as a motivated active listener, you’re well positioned to learn all things culinary. The Line Cook is responsible for keeping station pars as well as quality product stocked at all times. As a Café line cook you will be asked to follow recipes when preparing items for service and to communicate with the prep team on items that are priorities. This position is responsible for creating an atmosphere that will inspire Guests and Team Members to return. A key part of every Team Members job is to serve as a Ginger and Baker ambassador, engaging the guest at every opportunity.
- Prepare food items for guests using a quality predetermined method in a timely and consistent manner.
- Set up stations required to meet the day’s needs.
- Start food items that are prepared ahead of time, making sure not to prepare over estimated needs.
- Date all food containers and rotate accordingly, making sure that all perishables are kept at proper temperatures.
- Check pars for shift use, determine necessary preparation, freezer pull and line set up. Note any out of stock items or possible shortages.
- Return all food items not used on next shift to designated storage areas, being sure to cover/date all perishables.
- Anticipate all and any menu/allergy/dietary requests
- Check all food for tastes, temperature, and eye appeal.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist.
- Constantly spot check food and quality service during all meal periods to ensure that foods served meet our portion control and quality standards.
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area, tables, tools, knives, and equipment throughout and at end of shift.
- Adhere to kitchen sanitation standards; avoid cross contamination of products and follow proper rotation practices to decrease spoilage.
- Adhere to recipes and food pictures to ensure uniformity and consistency.
- Consult with Sous Chef on forecasted business volumes.
- Maintain an open line of communication at all times with any and all departments.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others while having fun working in a fast paste atmosphere.
- Not settling for OK. We only send out the best food, if its in question fix it or start over.
- Striving for perfection, not mediocrity
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities RequiredRemains calm under pressure/Able to Multitask • Operate ovens, dishwasher, any and all kitchen equipment not limited to stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers. • Fluent knife skills • Vacuum sealer • Mandolin
Preferred Education and Experience
- Knowledge of food preparation, menu concepts, food allergies, sanitation regulations, and safety measures
- Ability to communicate satisfactorily with guests, management, and co-workers
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in food preparation.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the hospitality industry
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must be willing to take and pass SERV Safe exam
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.